What is the formula for giving your partner the BEST gift this holiday season? All you need to know is what their love language is. Never heard of love languages? I tell you all about them here. Don’t know what YOUR love languages are? Take the test here. Once you have that figured out…here is what you do…
Words of Affirmation
For Words of Affirmation lovers it is not only important to hear “I love you” but to hear “and this is why.” Knowing the details makes them feel cherished and appreciated. Gift ideas include:
- Write a handwritten letter, poem, or song telling them what you appreciate about them.
- Create a mixed CD or a playlist of songs that express why you love that person.
- Create a box or jar that says “I love…” and fill it with notes of all the things you love about them.
This person appreciates the time you spend together and the attention you give them.
- Plan a road trip: Fill a box with snacks, music for the road, and a map outlining stops you will take along the way.
- Sign up to take a class together: Cooking, dancing, you name it! Just do it together.
This love language is not about breaking the bank. The receiver of gifts thrives on the thoughtfulness and effort behind the gift.
- 12 days of Christmas: A stream of small gifts including their favorite beverage, candy, movie, meal, etc. Creativity earns you bonus points
- Sentimental gifts: Something that shows you appreciate and remember past times together. Make a photo collage or calendar. Take mementos from trips and make a memory book. You can just visit Shutterfly and see tons of options of things that you can create.
Acts of Service
Ask yourself “what can I do to make their life a little easier?”
- Finish a project they’ve been meaning to do.
- Give them “A Day of Service” Certificate or Coupon Book.
This one doesn’t need an explanation.
- Massage box: Give the gift of massage. Include in the box: oil, candles, relaxing music. Oh and you give them a massage
- Movie Night: Movie, popcorn, and a soft blanket, equals hours of cuddles on the couch.
- You can always give the gift of smittens or a two person snuggie. These items ensure that you will be touching.
These are just some ideas to get you started. Once you know how each other’s love languages you can connect with each other on deeper levels. For now you can start with figuring out the best Christmas gift.